What is Spark?
Spark is a program created by Xtra to support organizations and individuals doing activist work in the LGBT community. Xtra Spark forms partnerships with individuals and organizations to assist them achieve campaign goals.
Spark partnerships are customized to each campaign, but in general we offer the following types of support as part of a partnership:
- Media coverage on DailyXtra.com – We offer media coverage that highlights your campaign to our national LGBT readership. Different from regular editorial coverage, Spark coverage is written in the aim of inciting our audience to get involved in your campaign, and contains calls to action to your donations page or website.
- Ad design & creative - If your campaign requires printed or digital posters or pamphlets, we can offer the services of our professional designer to create effective and appealing artwork.
- Flyer & poster production - We can provide poster printing if you have pre-existing campaign posters.
- Meeting space - In some cases, we are able to offer brick and mortar meeting space to organizations and community groups.
- Spark Activists - Spark maintains a database of LGBTQ and LGBTQ-allied activists interested in contributing to their communities. We are able to engage our volunteer database to participate in your campaign.
- Financial Support - Financial donations or donation matching campaigns.
I am an individual interested in making social change in LGBT communities. How do I get involved through Spark?
There are numerous ways to get involved in your community through Xtra Spark.
You can sign up for the Spark Alerts service through Twitter or email. This service alerts you when new activist campaigns in your community of residence are seeking volunteers or other support.
You can also check the Xtra Spark section of DailyXtra.com to stay up to date with some of the most impactful activist projects in Canada’s LGBT communities.
You can follow Xtra Spark on Twitter and like our Facebook page to keep up to date about new Spark projects. You can also join the Spark Facebook group to engage in discussions with other LGBT activists in Canada.
I am a member of a community group or organization seeking project support. How can I obtain a partnership with Spark?
Community groups , organizations and coalitions of individuals working on changemaking projects in LGBT communities can inquire about partnerships by emailing the Spark Account Manager at email@example.com. Please include a brief description of your project, its timeframe, project goals and expected results.
Why did Xtra create this program?
In spite of the hard fought advances in rights won by LGBT people in Canada since the 1970s, these rights are neither fully won nor equally distributed in our community. In instances such as homophobic persecution in the name of religion, the threat to our communities remains an external one. In other cases, racism, classism, ableism and sexism divide our communities and threaten the lives of some.
Xtra Spark grows out of the activist legacy of The Body Politic (the predecessor publication to Xtra) which was a leading voice of gay & lesbian liberation in Canada. Drawing on a new generation, and rooted in the achievements of pioneering activists, Spark seeks to safeguard rights won and drive social change forward in Canada’s LGBT communities.
How is Spark funded?
Spark is currently funded by Pink Triangle Press (the parent company of Xtra). Currently, the program is in search of a major financial supporter. If your business or organization is interested in supporting Xtra Spark, please contact the Spark Account Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.