News
1 min

Accused makes appearance in Ottawa via video link from Milton, Ontario

Poz Ottawa man facing two trials, one at home, one in Kitchener

Via video link from Maplehurst Correctional Complex in Milton, Ontario, a 29-year-old poz Ottawa man accused of not disclosing his health status made an appearance in Ottawa court today.

In Ottawa, he faces 26 charges: four counts of aggravated sexual assault, four counts attempt murder, five counts of sexual assault, eight counts of breaching probation and one count of possession of child pornography.

He is being held in Milton for a Kitchener court appearance tomorrow where he faces three counts of aggravated sexual assault related to two complainants and two charges of breaching probation.

The accused was transferred from Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre to Milton last month to be in protective custody. In a previous interview with Xtra, he said he preferred the conditions at Maplehurst because he had longer and more frequent outdoor time and increased contact with other inmates. He also said he feels safer because he is not recognized from the media coverage that became viral after his May 6 arrest.

A publication ban protects the identities of the accusers; Xtra has so far declined to publish the name of the accused.

A 24-year-old poz man is co-accused in the Kitchener case; he faces two counts of aggravated sexual assault. The co-accused has been under house arrest since May this year.

The accused is scheduled to appear in Ottawa again on Sept 23 by video link from Maplehurst. By the time he goes to court next, he will have spent nearly five months behind bars.

Ottawa police set off nationwide debate after his photo was attached to an email sent out by the Police Liaison Committee with the phrase “sexual predator” attached to it.