1 min

Alleged chatline basher to plead guilty

Mother blames accused's problems on a woman

The man who allegedly met another man on a telephone chatline, went to his East Vancouver home, then assaulted, tied him up and robbed him intends to plead guilty in Vancouver Provincial Court next month, his lawyer says.

Police say Anthony Paul McDonald had arranged to meet a 52-year-old man through a chatline.

But, police allege, when the 29-year-old McDonald arrived, he sucker-punched the man in the face, knocking him to the ground. He then allegedly bound him to a chair and made off with his wallet, car keys and car.

McDonald is charged with robbery, possession of stolen property over $5,000, two counts of possession of stolen credit cards, unlawful confinement, uttering threats and theft over $5,000.

He also faces charges from Victoria for forcible confinement, uttering threats and assault relating to an incident from Aug 17, 2000, court records show.

McDonald also allegedly told his lawyer, Mayland McKimm, that he’s facing additional charges of attempted break and enter and drug trafficking from Ontario, McKimm told Xtra.

Those are being waived from Ontario to BC to be dealt with, McKimm says.

“All matters will be dealt with May 26,” Justice of the Peace L Stokes ruled.

McDonald’s lawyer says it has always been McDonald’s intention to plead guilty so he can be sentenced to a federal penitentiary and receive help for his narcotics addiction.

“He’s been waiting since September,” McKimm says.

McDonald’s mother, who declined to give her name, was at court April 15.

She says many of McDonald’s problems began over a woman in Ontario.

“She was totally a bad girl,” his mother says. “She was doing crack.”

She says his problems continued as he was scared to go to jail.

The date for the plea was set when McDonald appeared via closed circuit TV from the North Fraser Pretrial Centre where he is in custody.

He will appear in person for the plea, Stokes ordered.

McKimm says McDonald had expected to plead guilty April 15, but there were no judges at the Main St courthouse due to a judges’ conference.