Almost two years after the events of the G20 riots, the Office of the Independent Police Review Director finally released a detailed report regarding police conduct during the rioting. Turns out? They could have handled things better. Amongst the various fuckeries:
- The short deadlines made it impossible for planning to coalesce, resulting in a lack of proper execution of safety and security procedures.
- Police were primed for violent protests but not for the peaceful protests that took up the bulk of the riots.
- Police were unable to keep up with protesters on foot due to their bulky protection.
- Many of the police brought in from the outside had no clue where they were and became hopelessly lost in the streets.
- Certain police officers detained and harrassed peaceful protesters without just cause (via the National Post)
Bookmark & Share