All hail the God of the Gay Geeks! Star Trek’s George Takei is jumping on the web series bandwagon with a new “heightened reality” show called It Takeis Two. Starring Takei and his real-life husband Brad, the show premieres on Tuesday, April 7 and will document the loveable couple as they navigate everything from queer domestic life to the internet and Broadway.
Need to be convinced that he’s awesome? Here are six super cool things you probably don’t know about Takei.
1. He has his own cologne! So if you’ve ever wondered what the coolest gay geek in the whole entire world smells like, plop down $50 for a bottle of Eau My. Yes, that is the actual name of the product.
2. In response to then-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s decision to veto same-sex marriage legislation in California in 2005, Takei revealed that he was gay in an issue of Frontiers magazine, stating: “It’s not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through. It’s more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen.” Touching! But also a description of anal sex.
3. Gays and web series go like peanut butter and jam. Where the Bears Are? Leslieville? Gay Nerds? Frequency? So it makes sense that someone so well versed in geek culture would explore a new frontier. And this is actually Takei’s second online series, having previously starred in the popular Takei’s Take, a show dedicated to consumer tech reviews for senior citizens.
4. Aside from playing Hikaru Sulu on the original Star Trek, Takei has done everything from voiceovers to theatre to radio, and appeared as himself in an issue of the Kevin Keller comic book. Even as a cartoon version of himself, Takei is reppin’ for the gays.
5. He is an internet celebrity, with millions of followers on various social media platforms, and has used this fame to promote important human rights issues and challenge discrimination, whether it be related to gay marriage, the Boy Scouts of America, or the National Defense Authorization Act.
He also shares lots of funny photos of cats and stuff.
6. Did I mention he’s God of the Gay Geeks? Don’t mess with us. We are legion.