Armistead Maupin’s Tales Of The City has won The Big Gay Read, a competition to find the favourite lesbian or gay novel among Brits.
The competition, launched in August of last year, culminated in The Big Gay Read Literature Festival in Manchester in mid-May.
Two Canadian novels were among the list of 21 books recommended by literary critics for the competition — Jane Rule’s Desert Of The Heart, and Shyam Selvadurai’s Funny Boy. Rule’s book made it into the final list, tying for 10th place with three others.
The Top 10 Books
1) Armisteaud Maupin: Tales Of The City
2) Sarah Waters: Tipping The Velvet
3) Jeanette Winterson: Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit
4) Jackie Kay: Trumpet
5) Sarah Waters: Fingersmith
5) Stella Duffy: Calendar Girl
5) Jake Arnott: The Long Firm
6) Jamie O’Neill: At Swim Two Boys
7) Annie Proulx: Brokeback Mountain
8) Alan Hollinghurst: The Line Of Beauty
9) Patricia Highsmith: Carol
10) Rita Mae Brown: Rubyfruit Jungle
10) Jane Rule: Desert Of The Heart
10) Patrick Gale: Rough Music
10) Julia Darling: Crocodile Soup