Participants at the Aug 16 emergency meeting to discuss building a queer community centre were also asked what other issues they consider to be of immediate strategic importance.
Their suggestions include:
* more varied and consistent youth programming throughout the year;
* more effective communication of HIV prevention, particularly targetted to youth;
* teaching the history of the gay and lesbian movement to youth;
* trans rights, trans access, trans involvement;
* easy access to all facilities, including bars and washrooms, for handicapped persons;
* under-reporting of hate crimes, partner abuse and other forms of violence;
* involvement of queers from minority groups, including Somali and Lebanese gays and lesbians;
* making schools safe for queer children and children of queer parents;
* making streets safe for us;
* recruitment of new volunteers and board members to replace those burned out;
* creating better-functioning boards within community organizations;
* fundraising for community groups, including more paid fundraising staff.