This latest edition of The Reading List is a little heavy on the celebrity, but with good reason.
– First, Stephen Ira Beatty, the son of Annette Bening and Warren Beatty, is well known for his work in the trans commnunity, as well as the work he did on his blog, Super Mattachine. Stephen recently took part of a video campaign organized by GLAAD, discussing healthcare for the trans community. The story was picked up by news outlets but mostly as a story about the “trans son of a celebrity.” But the fact that people are learning about this subject is beneficial.
– Margaret Cho talks to the PBS webseries Makers about stereotypes, life in San Francisco during the AIDS crisis and being truthful to herself.
– RuPaul continues her “RuPaul Drives” series, this time with Drag Race alum Alyssa Edwards. And for those of you who haven’t checked out Alyssa’s webseries, Alyssa’s Secret, please do. You won’t regret it.
– BuzzFeed’s LGBT section takes a peek at the word gay in several languages and the history therein.
– And last but not least, the Oxford English Dictionary has announced its word of the year: selfie.