News
1 min

Trans people in Ontario by the numbers

First data released after lengthy Trans Pulse survey

* Respondents were about equally split between MTF-spectrum (47 percent) and FTM-spectrum (54 percent).

* 50 percent make less than $15,000 a year. 21 percent make between $15,000 and $29,999 and 30 percent make $30,000 or more, with only 7 percent making $80,000 or more.

* 32 percent live in Toronto, while 68 percent live elsewhere in the province.

* 71 percent have attended college or university, with 43 percent holding a degree (including 7 percent with a graduate degree).

* 35 percent identify as straight or heterosexual, with the remaining 65 percent using a range of terms including bisexual or pansexual (30 percent), queer (31 percent), gay (11 percent), lesbian (14 percent), questioning (13 percent), two-spirit (9 percent), other (8 percent), and asexual (5 percent).

* 32 percent are in monogamous relationships, 12 percent in open or poly relationships, 44 percent are single and dating, and 12 percent are single and not dating.

* 86 percent are white, 6 percent Aboriginal, 4 percent Middle Eastern, 4 percent other, 3 percent black and 3 percent Latin American.

* 27 percent are parents.