1 min

UPDATE: Accused in chatline case returns to court Jan 28 to fix trial date

Remains in custody by consent

Jan 22, 2010

Anthony Paul McDonald, charged in connection with assault, forcible confinement and possession of stolen property in an alleged chatline meet-up, remains in custody.

McDonald was due to have a bail hearing Jan 21 but is in custody by consent. He returns to court Jan 28 to fix a date for trial.


Jan 19, 2010

The man who allegedly met another man on a telephone chat line and then allegedly assaulted, tied him up and robbed him will return to court for a bail hearing Jan 21.

Anthony Paul McDonald faces charges of forcible confinement, assault and possession of stolen property among others.

He remains in custody.

McDonald appeared in Vancouver Provincial Court Jan 18 by closed-circuit TV from North Fraser Pretrial Centre.

Vancouver police allege McDonald (of no fixed address) arranged to meet a 52-year-old man at his East Vancouver apartment Aug 23.

Police allege when McDonald arrived, the 29-year-old man sucker-punched the victim in the face, knocking him to the ground.

It’s alleged he then tied the victim to a chair and stole his wallet, car keys and car.

Officers reported that a neighbour heard the victim shouting and called the police who freed him.

The man suffered minor injuries.

Around 10 pm, the victim’s stolen car was reported seen on East Cordova. The driver was taken into custody.

The victim has not been identified.

McDonald was also wanted on a BC-wide warrant from Victoria for forcible confinement, threatening and assault.

Those charges relate to an incident from Aug 17, 2000, court records show.

The Victoria case will be heard in Vancouver, provincial court officials say.

The current hearings deal with only the Vancouver matter, records show.

In connection with the East Vancouver incident, McDonald is charged with robbery, possession of stolen property over $5,000, two counts of possession of stolen credit cards, unlawful confinement, uttering threats and theft over $5,000.

The August incident led police to remind people to meet in a public place, let others know their plans, carry a cell phone and report suspicious incidents.