MOBILE JOURNALIST (Ottawa) – Part-time
Pink Triangle Press is looking for a part-time intrepid Mobile Journalist with strong news judgment and well-honed journalism skills for its Xtra Ottawa publication.
With formal training or experience in print journalism, you thrive on being a news reporter, not just a writer. Thick-skinned, you're not afraid to tackle sensitive issues or ask hard questions, even within a small, tight-knit community.
A creative thinker, you have a natural “nose for news” and the ability to identify great story ideas that reflect the zeitgeist of Ottawa's gay and lesbian community. You are outgoing and skilled at networking with community leaders and newsmakers to stay abreast of what's happening in organizations and the broader community.
You also possess:
- superior writing and self-editing skills, with meticulous attention to detail, spelling and accuracy
- excellent communication, organizational, problem-solving and follow-up skills
- strong computer, internet and digital photography skills
- strong interviewing and note-taking skills, with thorough electronic documentation and records maintenance
- knowledge of print- and web-publishing journalism practices and standards and related laws (libel, obscenity, etc)
And you are:
- an avid user of social media, understanding how to harness its power to engage our communities and promote your daily work
- an aggressive self-starter who gets things done, able to handle the pressures of a deadline-driven environment and still maintain a sense of humour
- able to employ diverse approaches to storytelling: traditional reportage, Q&A, op-ed, blogging, photo essay, video, audio
The ideal candidate is an avid Xtra reader who supports our work and is familiar with Ottawa’s gay and lesbian communities and organizations.
To apply for this position, visit our employment application website and upload your resumé and cover letter. You may be asked to complete a pre-interview assessment.