The owner of a Winnipeg bathhouse where two men died in a fire last fall has been fined $11,000 for fire code violations.
Somchai Pengpharsuks, who owns the Aquarius Bath, pleaded guilty in provincial court last week to violating 15 city fire
bylaws, reports CBC News.
The violations included exposed electrical wiring, smoke alarms with no batteries, non-working fire extinguishers and exit doors that were bolted shut.
Aquarius Bath on Oct 11, hours after the fire. (Kaj Hasselriis photo)
The bathhouse reopened in February, and the owner says that he has made the required upgrades to meet city regulations.
Two men, Steven Yablonski, 23, of Winnipeg and Robert Clark, 62, of Saskatchewan, died of smoke inhalation in the Oct 11 fire, which police say was deliberately set.
Justin James Rosdobutko, 25, of Winnipeg, was charged with two counts of manslaughter in connection with the Oct 11 blaze. He is free on bail pending trial, reports the CBC.
- Did “gay panic” spark blaze at Winnipeg bathhouse?
- Winnipeg bathhouse fire victim remembered at vigil
- Popular drag queen dies in Winnipeg bathhouse fire